New vacancy: Accounts Assistant
Post Title : Accounts Assistant
Department : Finance and Corporate Services
Responsible to : Director of Finance and Corporate Services
Assisting the Director of Finance and Financial Controller in processing all financial transactions within the organisation.
Working under the day-to-day direction of the Financial Controller. You will work in partnership with all members of the Finance team, particularly the Administration Assistant, but will also work collaboratively on a daily basis with all departments.
The post will be based at Verdant Works but will require working at Discovery Point and other Dundee Heritage properties as work demands. Home working may also be considered for some part of the contractual hours of work for the post, at the company’s discretion, subject to appropriate risk and ergonomic assessments being carried out.
Hours of Work
Full time 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Duties & Responsibilities
Financial transaction processing
- Manage and process all aspects of the Sales Ledger: creating and sending invoices, liaising with customers on queries, sending statements, credit control and applying receipts.
- Work closely with the Conference and Events, Front of House and Education teams to track bookings for events and visits, processing deposits, advance payments and creating final customer invoices.
- Daily monitoring and processing of online booking receipts.
- Manage and process all aspects of the Purchase Ledger: monitor order logs, track supplier invoices through the approval process, process invoices, reconcile supplier statements, prepare payment runs, and liaise with suppliers on all queries to successful resolution.
- Manage and process all credit card purchase entries.
- Coding of all the above entries to the nominal ledger, applying the correct VAT code and project/funder codes where appropriate.
- Ensure all transactions have the correct back-up invoices, receipts and approvals.
- Other processing as required e.g. salary journal posting, misc. payments.
- Reconcile all receipts control accounts, working closely with the Front of House teams to resolve any queries as required, including Tesco Clubcard reconciliations.
- Reconcile all bank accounts.
- Calculate and process monthly Gift Aid returns with submission to HMRC.
- Provide assistance to the Finance Controller as required.
- Produce any ad-hoc analyses and reports as requested by other team members.
- Provide cover for the Administration Assistant during any periods of absence.
- Collect and enter data for various financial spreadsheets as required.
- Answer questions and provide assistance to stakeholders, customers, and clients as needed.
- Logging of all utility meter reading, liaising with Facilities Manager on matters as required.
- Attend finance department and company-wide meetings as required.
- Suggest changes or improvements to increase accuracy, efficiency, and cost reductions.
- Be aware of the work of other departments in the achievement of the organisation’s aims.
- Comply with all Data Protection and confidentiality guidelines
- Take an active part in communicating and cooperating with other staff and departments.
- Follow all workplace guidelines. Work in accordance with the company’s Equality and Diversity Policy.
- Adhere to and apply the company’s organisation’s policies and procedures in all aspects of work.
- Be aware of, and comply with rules and legislation pertaining to Health & Safety at work.
- Take an active part in achieving high standards of customer and client care.
- Contribute to an enthusiastic, positive work climate within the organisation.
- Relevant book-keeping or accounting qualification for example AAT, or part-qualified. Alternatively demonstrable, relevant and extensive bookkeeping/accounting experience.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a similar role with knowledge of bookkeeping and basic accounting principles.
- Experience of and a good working knowledge of Xero and/or SAGE.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Highly organised with exceptional attention to detail with a desire to follow all tasks through to completion.
- Excellent time management /prioritisation skills.
- An aptitude for dealing with numerical data with good mathematical skills.
- Understanding of data privacy standards and the importance of confidentiality.
- Exceptional levels of integrity and honesty.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills with the ability to talk confidently on financial & technical issues to a range of stakeholders.
- Problem-solving skills; analytical skills, and critical thinking skills.
- Experience in working in the Museum and Cultural Sector / Charitable sector.
- Familiarity with business principles and practices.
- Experience of Retail / Cafe environments, systems and processes.
Terms & Conditions:
Rate of Pay: £25,000 p.a.
Hours of work: 37.5 hours (During the days and hours of Monday- Friday, 9 am-5 pm)
Holiday entitlement is 31 days, rising to 4 weeks and 2 days after 3 years’ service and rising to 5 weeks after 5 years’ service. This includes public holidays, 4 of which are fixed – Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day, and 2nd January.
You will be auto-enrolled in to The National Employment Savings Trust (NEST) Pension Scheme, subject to the prevailing rules and your eligibility.
- Discount on meals from Discovery & Verdant Works Café
- Discount on purchases from the Gift Shops at Discovery and Verdant Works
- Be part of an award-winning team!
The Closing date for applications is 31 July 2023.
Please send your CV to email@example.com with reference to the Accounts Assistant.