Post Title: Ship’s Crew Member/ Weekend Watch/ Relief Nightwatch
Terms: Permanent; Full-Time
Responsible to: Ship’s Director
Purpose of Job
The post holder will assist with implementation of the RRS Discovery maintenance plan. They will be expected to be a proactive member of the crew working as a team. They should have an interest in historic ships and have a flexible attitude towards work and completion of tasks.
The post holder will require good general maintenance skills, particularly in the preparation and coating of wood. The post holder will report directly to the Ship’s Manager.
RRS Discovery is open to the public on a daily basis, and the ship’s crew are expected to treat all visitors with respect and assist them as required.
Working Hours are 37.5 per week, primarily Wednesday to Sunday. Holiday and sickness cover for Nightwatch as and when required.
- The primary requirement of all crew is to work towards securing the long-term preservation of the Royal Research Ship Discovery.
- To assist with the identification of maintenance tasks and formulation of the ship’s annual maintenance program.
- Complete on a daily basis those daily tasks as identified on the ship’s maintenance program.
- Understand and be able to operate all security and fire alarms.
- Understand and be able to operate the dock and bilge pumping systems.
- To complete all maintenance tasks as required by DIH Limited.
- To assist with the implementation of Health and safety requirements.
- Ensure all work onboard is completed in a safe manner and public areas are maintained safely.
- Ensure all area sites are well-maintained and clean.
- Undertake maintenance tasks as required at both Discovery Point and Verdant Works.
- Assist with all fire evacuation procedures as identified in the evacuation plan.
- Assist with visitor management.
- Assist with training and supervision of volunteers.
- Complete conference portering duties.
This job description is a broad picture of the post at the date of preparation. It is not an exhaustive list of all possible duties, and it is recognised that jobs change and evolve over time. Consequently, this is not a contractual document, and the post holder will be required to carry out other duties to the equivalent level that is necessary to fulfil the purpose of the post.
To apply, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing ‘Ships Crew Member’
Two positions are available
The deadline for applications is 13 October 2023.
Interviews will take place in the week commencing 20 October.