Dundee Industrial Heritage Ltd
Post Title: Visitor Services Assistant
Responsible to: Front of House/Café Supervisor
The Visitor Services Assistant is responsible for ensuring high standards of customer service and cleanliness within the café, exhibitions and retail shop areas. They must demonstrate sound communication skills and have a passion for delivering stunning customer care. This position will also encompass the role of acting supervisor during times necessary times to cover the Senior Supervisor and Supervisor.
Working as part of a small team under the direction of the FOH/Cafe Supervisors at either Verdant Works or Discovery Point.
The post will be based at Discovery Point but will require working at Verdant Works and other Dundee Heritage properties as work demands.
Hours of Work
7 hours per week over Saturday to Friday, including weekends. Occasional evening work may be required
Duties & Responsibilities
- Deal with customers in a friendly and professional manner
- Operate the tills accurately and deal with cash and credit/debit card transactions.
- Assist with a wide variety of enquiries by the visiting public
- Maintain a knowledge of frequently asked questions visitors may ask
- Be adaptable at communicating with a wide range of visitors
- Ensure appropriate uniform is worn when on duty.
- Process various discounts and deals
- Upsell and promote deals and offers
- Collect Gift Aid from visitors
- Keep shop displays, general areas and museum areas clean and tidy at all times. This involves hoovering, mopping, etc.
- Receive deliveries, including checking stock, unpacking and re-stocking of shelves or storing goods.
- Support the smooth running of admissions and gift shop whilst maintaining company standards
- Work as part of a team to ensure the safety of visitors.
- Assist with café service, serving tea, coffee and taking lunch orders
- Support the smooth running of the café and comply with Food Hygiene and Safety Standards.
- Assist with light food preparation
- Keeping cafe displays, café tables, and kitchen clean and tidy at all times. This involves dishwashing, hoovering, mopping etc.
- Be aware of the work of other departments in the achievement of DIH/DHT aims.
- Take an active part in communicating and cooperating with other staff and departments.
- Follow all DIH/DHT guidelines, procedures and policies.
- Work in accordance with the company’s Equal Opportunities and Diversity Policy.
- Be aware of and comply with rules and legislation pertaining to Health & Safety at work.
- Take an active part in achieving high standards of customer and client care.
- Contribute to an enthusiastic, positive work climate within the organisation
In addition to your normal duties, you may be required to undertake such other duties as are necessary from time to time to meet the requirements of the Charity’s business.
- Good level of education
- Customer service experience/dealing with the general public
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
- Cash Handling Skills
- Good communication skills, written and oral
- Confident at giving information and advice
- Friendly and polite
- Team player
- Flexible approach to work
- Experience of working in a museum or public venue
- Supervisory experience in a customer service position
- An interest in Dundee’s Industrial and Cultural Heritage
- Knowledge of a second language
Terms & Conditions:
Rate of Pay: £10.90 per hour
Hours of work: 7 hours per week.
Holiday entitlement is 31 days, rising to 4 weeks and 2 days after 3 years’ service and rising to 5 weeks after 5 years’ service. Pro-rata for part-time hours. This includes public holidays, 4 of which are fixed – Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day, and 2nd January.
The Government has introduced a new law which requires employers to enrol their workers into a workplace pension scheme automatically if they meet the following conditions.
If you meet these requirements during your contract, you will be auto-enrolled into our qualifying scheme – The National Employment Savings Trust (NEST) Pension Scheme.
- Discount on meals from Discovery & Verdant Works Café
- Discount on purchases from the Gift Shops at Discovery and Verdant Works
- Be part of an award-winning team!
Closing date: Friday, 13th October 2023.
TO APPLY, PLEASE SEND YOUR CV TO email@example.com , REFERENCING THE JOB TITLE.