Dundee Heritage Trust sprang from a small dedicated band of local people concerned that unless action was taken important aspects of the city’s history would be lost forever. Trustees are drawn from a diverse range of community and business interests in Dundee and Tayside.
As well as the internationally significant Royal Research Ship Discovery, Dundee Heritage Trust has responsibility for Discovery Point, home of RRS Discovery and Verdant Works, one of the nation’s most important textile museums. Both sites are Accredited museums, 5 star rated attractions with VisitScotland and have won numerous awards.
The purpose of Dundee Heritage Trust is ‘The guardianship, preservation, and portrayal of Dundee’s Heritage in ways that educate, inspire and enlighten current and future generations.’
The organisation’s distinctive excellence is ‘The successful co-existence of a public service ethos with a private sector culture, which delivers a range of outstanding quality experiences.’
What we do
- The only independent charity in Scotland operating two five-star rated visitor attractions
- Receive over 190,000 annual visitors to the Trust’s venues – Discovery Point and Verdant Works
- Responsible for the conservation of RRS Discovery, one of the world’s most important ships.
- Has in its care two Recognised Collections of National Significance, relating to RRS Discovery and polar exploration and the Dundee textile industry.
- Offer high-quality learning services to over 6,000 school children and countless community groups
- Communicate research on the collections through the exhibition and learning programmes, events, workshops, the on-line database and talks to groups and societies.
- Run a diverse programme of temporary exhibitions at both museums
- Constantly strive to develop and improve the galleries and interpretation within the museums to provide a stimulating and quality experience
- Work in partnership with the museums and tourism community across Scotland
- Provide employment valued at 31 fulltime equivalents and volunteering opportunities for many more
- Produce an estimated £2.5 million in annual economic benefit to the local area
- Receive an annual grant of £58,000 from Dundee City Council and generate the remaining 94% of our running costs through commercial activity such as ticket sales, conference and functions, catering and retailing and fundraising initiatives including events, corporate and charitable trust support.
- Is governed by Boards of Trustees and Directors, who bring their wide experience and skills to ensure the museums are well managed.